Well I’m sitting here listening to Roger Creager on my iPod. Not a rare occurrence. And it’s got me thinking about Red Dirt Music, a sound that found its way into my soul several years ago, and I’ve never been the same since. I’ve tried numerous times to describe this genre of music to my friends that are foreign to Texas and Oklahoma, but I’ve come to the conclusion that Red Dirt can’t be described. It must be experienced.
Red Dirt Music gets its name from the color of the soil that’s found in Oklahoma, particularly around Stillwater, OK, the place where the genre got its start. There was an old two story, five-bedroom house called The Farm, where musicians would gather to play in the living room, on the front porch, in the garage (which they named the Gypsy Cafe - you gotta love that), and around camp fires in the yard. Pretty soon a sound emerged that has been described as “west of Nashville, and north of Austin” (please check out www.reddirtmusic.wetpaint.com).
If I were to try to define the sounds of Red Dirt Music I would have to point you in the direction of southern rock, western swing, folk, and country all mixed together. Perhaps you could call it “alternative country.“ Some have called it country music with an attitude. And although there used to be some distinction between Oklahoma Red Dirt music and Texas Red Dirt music, the differentiation has diminished in the last few years. Oklahoma finding it’s roots in Bob Childers, and Texas in Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings, merging to find its identity today in the likes of Robert Earl Keen, Stoney LaRue, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Randy Rogers, Pat Green, Charlie Robison, Bleu Edmondson, etc., etc., etc. To me, the music is real, raw, expressive, truthful, rhythmic, soulful. Someone described it by saying, “The music is as much a state of mind as it is a sound. It's rowdy, blue-collar rock and part country.”
Every song tells a story that you can relate to, and I definitely encourage any doubters to download and sample Ragweed’s “Sick and Tired,” or one of my new favorites by Josh Abbott, “Taste.” You should spend a little time online at WWW.949THEOUTLAW.COM and stream their broadcast. You won’t be disappointed. I would also refer you to WWW.TEXASMUSICCHART.COM which is a great reference if you’re ready to start or add to your Red Dirt collection.
Motivated by the music, this week I’ll be taking the first “Gypsy Trip” of the year. Thursday I‘ll enjoy the music of Aaron Watson in Wichita Falls, TX and then head on down to San Antone Friday for one of my musical heroes, Roger Creager. Saturday we‘ll be at historic Gruene Hall in New Braunfels, TX for the music of Mr. Max Stallings. Y’all should come along. It’s going to be fun. Until then, I’ll be on the road….
- Gypsy
Speaking of red dirt, we just saw Jason Boland (sans Stragglers) at a local country music American Idol-ish event. I guess he's from Oklahoma? And my inlaws are from Watonga. Not sure where that is in relation to ya. Either way, the music makes me miss home. Which is NOT Oklahoma, rather over near Pendleton, home of the infamous Roundup and whiskey! :)
ReplyDelete