Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Gypsy Home

I am a Texan. Yeah I know that I’m originally from Georgia, and proud enough to admit it. But I’m a Texan. And Texas is home

Somewhere in the good Lord’s infinite grace and guidance He has seen fit with Divine wisdom to allow this undeserving cowboy to mercifully migrate back to the Great State after a short hiatus, and I hope that He‘ll never lead me to leave again. There is no place on earth where I can breathe deeper, feel stronger, and walk taller than under the shadow of a Lone Star flag. It is truly a mystery. As you all know, I’m not originally from Texas (unless you count conception, since my folks did something dastardly in Dallas County some thirty-eight years ago then skidaddled to Georgia), but I consider myself a Texan. And recently I’ve been spending a little time thinking about what that means. I hear folks from time to time refer to being a Texan, but I’m not sure they are simply trying to describe where they live. No, I truly believe that to be a Texan is something more.

You see, to be a Texan is ALWAYS more. You’ve heard it said that everything is bigger in Texas, and there may be some truth to that, but there’s definitely MORE to Texas than most folks realize. I’ve been all over this planet and met many, many folks. But I can safely say that in Texas there is more hospitality, more pride, more independence, more optimism, more hope, and more excitement than any place I’ve ever been.

I traveled to Texas a few times as a child, but it wasn’t until I stood under this canopy of big sky as a young man that I new in an instant where I wanted to spend the rest of my life. I stood in a field in Waxahatchie, Texas, and I knew. I’d never seen such an umbrella of overhead blue that curved to meet the bluebonnets that were in full bloom. In that instant I fell in love. Not with a place, but with a spirit. It was a spirit of freedom, and since that day I’ve only found that spirit in Texas.

So for 2011, my resolution is to limit my Gypsy Trips to Texas. I want to see and experience it all. From the Amarillo Panhandle to the Corpus Coast, from the Pines of Texarkana to the Sands of El Paso. As always, you’re welcome to join me. My faithful band of cowboy brothers D.J., Chad Allen, and the Captain will be along for the ride, I'm certain. And yes, I’ll be more faithful this year in keeping you updated with the trips and adventures. But until then, I'll be on the road....

- Gypsy

1 comment: