Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Border Gypsy

Well my dear brother Chad Allen (C.A.) turned 40 back in May, so to celebrate I jumped in an airplane and flew down to Laredo, TX. If you've never been to south Texas, well then, you might want to have a good reason to go. I reckon C.A. was reason enough. Don't get me wrong, I love the rugged beauty down that way, but it's definitely a long walk from home...and I don't speak the language.

We did, however, have a great time in true Gypsy fashion (great food, great people, great culture). C.A. gave me the grand tour of the Rio Grande in the Laredo area. We stood on the banks of that river that holds so much history, looked across into Mexico, and held up signs that said, 'Wish You Were Here!' They held up signs too. Theirs read, 'Be There Soon."


We drove past the Mexican Embassy and C.A. told me how he stormed the gates one time with guns drawn...ummm maybe I shouldn't tell that story since it was an act of American aggression on Mexican soil. Maybe he can tell you some day.

But it really was sad to think about how bad the border situation is these days. Wasn't too long ago that you could venture into Mexico and have a great time. Not anymore unfortunately. I wouldn't want to cross that bridge if I was armed to the teeth, and was accompanied by a secret service detail, and a platoon of green berets, who were assisted by Batman. But I did it anyway. And I'll have to tell you THAT story in person as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment