Swappin' rodeo stories with this ole cowboy friend of mine.
When some motorcycle riders started snickerin' in the back
started pokin' fun at my friend's hat.
One ole boy said hey Tex, where'd you park your horse.
My friend just pulled his hat down low, but they couldn't be ingnored.
One husky fellow said, I think I'll rip that hat right off your head.
That's when my friend turned around, and this is what he said.....
You'll ride a black tornado, cross't the western sky
Rope an ole blue norther and milk it till it's dry
Bull dawg the Mississippi, pin it's ears down flat...
Long before you take this cowboy's hat....
- Chris Ledoux
I love cowboy hats. I don't have a lot of hair anymore, so they've definitely become quite useful in hiding my shiny head from the elements. But in truth, I just wear em because I like em. I think I currently have about a dozen. It may be an obsession. I have work hats, river hats, going-out hats, and hats that just hang on the wall now because they've been retired. Some are felt, some are straw, and some are palm leaf....each having its own use and season.
I wear my hat everywhere I travel. I love the attention it brings in cities where people have only seen such a strange creation on television and movies. They look at you like you're from outer space (when really I just came from Texas...not a huge difference...both are big with a lot of empty space). Inevitably some guys will snicker and laugh and I've learned to just laugh with em. I was in Tennessee recently when I walked up to a bar to find four college boys whispering and giggling, pointing at my hat. I smiled at em and walked on, until one of the brave young souls in pastel tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Nice hat, where's your horse?" He was a head shorter than me so I looked down at him and said, "You know the difference between you and me?" He said, "What's that Hoss?" I smiled at him and said, "Couple of things. First, I have manners. Second, I can always take this hat off, but you'll always be short." Then I bought him a beer and we made nice.
But in most cases people are nice. In Atlanta, I was complimented for being myself. In Chicago, I was told I was brave for wearing "that thing" around here. In New York, well....yeah. Most of the time women want to know if they can wear it to pose for a picture with their friends. Sure, but be warned...my hats will swallow the average head. I wear a 7 5/8 which is HUGE.
The one in the picture above has been shaped and reshaped and reshaped...one of the glories of a palm leaf hat. It now looks like crap...but it's great for being out on the water.
Now that I've convinced you to wear one yourself, here's some tips: Hats are an extension of your face. Make sure you pick the right shape, crown, bend, and color. Buy one from someone who knows something about hats. If you live in north Texas then you need to go to Huskey Hat Co in Wichita Falls. They've been doing hats for 40 years. Their custom made felt hats (I have one) are like wearing a diaper made of cotton candy. And you know you like cotton candy.
We will talk more about hats...SOON.
No comments:
Post a Comment